A look back, and the road ahead...

As each new year approaches, I generally take a few moments to reflect on the previous year and plan for the next. As I reflect on 2011, I realize what an incredibly busy and productive year it has been here on The Posterity Project. I planned and organized STA2011, the Society of Tennessee Archivists annual meeting, and was elected President of the Society of Tennessee Archivists for the 2011-2012 term. I also helped my wife publish and promote our first book-length work of scholarship, Onward Southern Soldiers: Religion and the Army of Tennessee in the Civil War.

As I focus on the road ahead, I plan to devote more of my time and attention on the ways in which digital history and social media are driving archives to produce a rich online narrative of our cultural heritage. I also want to write more broadly about the themes that drive this blog -- archives, memory, and local history here in Tennessee. The new year is full of promise, and I look forward to exploring these topics with you in 2012.

In the meantime, I'm taking a few days off from the blog over the holiday season to recharge my batteries and to spend more time with my family. While you can still catch me "documenting the links to our past" in 140 characters or less on Twitter, expect a return to regular blogging on The Posterity Project in January.
 
I want to thank you -- my readers -- for your continued loyalty and readership. I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and a very Happy New Year!


 
Gordon Belt is an information professional, archives advocate, public historian, and author of The History Press book, John Sevier: Tennessee's First Hero, which examines the life of Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier, through the lens of history and memory. On The Posterity Project, Gordon offers reflections on archives, public history, and memory from his home state of Tennessee.