The Battle of Franklin Trust announced on Friday that the organization is in discussions with state officials to turn over an old gymnasium adjacent to the Carter House, off Columbia Avenue, to facilitate building a state-of-the-art Civil War museum and interpretive center.
Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864.
Image: Library of Congress
The gym was built in 1954 as an addition to the old Franklin High School, which used to sit next to the Carter House before it was destroyed by fire in 1957, leaving only the “new” gym.
The building had been used up until 2007, and was used for years by the Boys and Girls Club and by the Optimist Club. That same year, Carter House officials announced a vision for a museum and visitor center that would repurpose the old building.
The Battle of Franklin Trust request is under consideration by the Tennessee Historical Commission, according to an announcement by Eric Jacobsen, chief operating officer for the Trust.
This initiative coupled with recently announced plans to purchase and restore property adjacent to the battlefield is great news for Civil War preservation in Franklin. Click here to read more about the new museum from The Tennessean.
UPDATE 3/23/2012: "Unveiled in 2007, a Battle of Franklin interpretive center/museum next door to the Carter House has gone nowhere in four years’ time... Now, supporters say a proposal to transfer ownership of the state-owned gym property to the private, nonprofit Battle of Franklin Trust could be the piece of the puzzle needed to actually start construction." Read more from The Tennessean.