Inspired by a new writing platform

A few weeks ago, my Dad gave me a priceless gift. He completed work on a writing desk that now sits in a place of prominence in my home office. This desk was once in the basement of my parents' home for many years, left unfinished and covered up with stacks of boxes and storage items. During one visit to my parents' house late last year, I asked my Dad if he had any plans to finish the old desk. I thought it would be a nice project to work on if he had no plans to do anything with it. To my surprise, he decided to finish the desk on his own, and gave it to me as a gift.

My Dad knew that I was writing my next book, John Sevier: Tennessee's First Hero, and he thought I should have a proper writing surface to work on my manuscript. I could not be more happy with the craftsmanship and the quality of this new family heirloom. I'll treasure this desk forever, but in the meantime, I plan to make good use of my new writing space. I've even hired an apprentice to help with the research. Fortunately, his hourly rate is affordable. Dog treats seem to keep my trusty assistant very happy...



You may have noticed that blog posts on The Posterity Project have been few and far between lately. My commitment to meet a writing deadline has led me to spend more of my free time working on my manuscript and research. Having a new writing platform has certainly helped me in this regard.

I've also spent some time evaluating my online platform, and I want to bring the same quality of craftsmanship to this blog as my Dad did in building my new writing desk. I've become inspired by the attention to every detail in my new desk's construction, from the solid wood frame, to the deep desk drawers, to the beautiful stain finish. This new writing platform has helped me focus my thoughts and express them in words that inspire me to write even more.

So, while I may not post as frequently to The Posterity Project as I have in the past, I think that the time spent on writing quality content will be well worth it in the end. Eventually, as deadlines pass and work is completed on my book, I want to stick to an every-other-week blog post schedule. Meanwhile, I'm planning to spend some quality time seated at this desk, thinking and writing about the past, while also focusing on the future. I look forward to sharing those stories with you in future blog posts.


Gordon Belt is the Director of Public Services for the Tennessee State Library & Archives, and past president of the Society of Tennessee Archivists. On The Posterity Project, Gordon blogs about archives, local history, genealogy, and social media advocacy for archives and cultural heritage organizations. His forthcoming book, John Sevier: Tennessee's First Hero, examines the life of Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier, through the lens of history and memory.

No comments:

Related Posts